- 1 pack phyllo dough, defrosted
- 1 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1 cup pure pumpkin
- 3/4 cups brown sugar
- 1/2 tbsp pumpkin spice
- 2 cups chopped pecans
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 4 whole cloves
- Preheat the oven to 350 ° F.
- In a bowl, combine the pumpkin, brown sugar and pumpkin spice.
- Unwrap the phyllo dough roll and cut it in half so that the sheets fit in the dish.
- Brush the bottom of the dish with melted butter and place a single sheet in the mold.
- Butter the top of the sheet and put another sheet on it and butter it too.
- Continue to layer 6 more sheets, applying butter between each.
- After placing the 8th sheet, spread a very thin layer of the pumpkin mixture evenly over the phyllo dough. Sprinkle with a few nuts.
- Continue to layer 4 sheets of phyllo dough, buttering between layers.
- Spread another very thin layer of the pumpkin mixture evenly. Add some nuts.
- Repeat these steps two more times until you have 4 layers of the pumpkin mixture.
- Finish by layering 10 sheets of phyllo dough, don't forget the butter between each sheet.
- Cut the baklava layers into 4 long rows and 6-8 diagonally crosswise.
- Bake 45 to 50 minutes or until top of baklava is golden brown.
- While the baklava is cooking, combine the syrup ingredients in a medium saucepan and bring to a slow boil. Reduce the heat and stir often for 5 to 10 minutes (the syrup should not thicken too much).
- When the baklava is done, let it cool for an hour, then pour the syrup over the baklava and let it sit uncovered until it is completely cool.