- For the fruits:
- 285g mixed dried fruits (currants, raisins, cranberries, cherries)
- 114g candied lemon and orange peel, finely chopped
- 60g candied cherries
- 6 tablespoons of your favorite liqueur or fruit juice
- For the dough:
- 1 1/2 tbsp dry yeast
- 180 ml of milk
- 1/4 cup of sugar
- 4 cups bread flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 6 large eggs
- 284g unsalted butter
- 28g of almonds
- For the fruits :
- Mix all the dried and candied fruits in a bowl.
- Add the liqueur or juice and mix again.
- Cover and store overnight in a cool dark place (not the refrigerator)
- For the dough:
- Warm up 150ml of the milk. Sprinkle the dry yeast over the milk, stir in the sugar and leave on the side for 5 minutes.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer (dough hook), add the flour and sprinkle the salt on one side. On the other side, pour in the yeast and milk mixture.
- Mix the flour, salt and yeast at slow speed. Add 5 eggs and turn the speed to medium. Continue mixing until the dough is smooth.
- Cut 255g of the softened butter into small chunks. Raise the speed of the mixer and add one chunk at a time.
- Mix for at least 5 more minutes.
- Grease a large bowl with butter. Let the dough side down in the bowl by it's own weight.
- Cover tightly with plastic wrap and leave it overnight in the fridge.
- Spread out the dough into a rectangular shape on a floured surface.
- Strain the soaked fruits. Place half of the fruits onto the dough.
- Fold the dough over the fruits and lightly roll the dough around.
- Spread the dough again and repeat with the rest of the fruits.
- Form a ball with the dough.
- Grease a panettone tin or paper case with butter.
- Drop the dough into the center, put the almonds into the surface and cover loosely with a tea towel.
- Put the cake in a warm place for 2 to 3 hours or until the dough is rising above the tin.
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Mix one egg with the rest of the milk and brush over the surface of the cake. Bake in the middle of the oven for 20 minutes.
- Lower the heat to 300F and cook for another 40 minutes.
- Let the cake cool for 5 minutes.