- The dough:
- 2 cups of semolina
- 1 3/4 cups of flour
- 1 cup of melted butter
- 1 cup of icing sugar
- 2 tsp of baking powder
- 50 ml of milk
- 60 ml of orange blossom or rose water
- The stuffing (dates, walnuts and/or pistachios):
- 3/4 cup plump, pitted Medjool dates + 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 cup of walnuts without kernels and coarsely ground + 2 tsp of ground cinnamon + 1/2 cup of sugar
- 1 cup peeled and coarsely ground pistachios + 2 tsp ground cinnamon + 1/2 cup sugar
- The stuffing:
- For each type of stuffing, mix all the ingredients together.
- The dough:
- In a large container, put the flour, very fine semolina, icing sugar, soft butter, yeast, mix and sand the dough well.
- Add the milk and finally the necessary amount of orange blossom water and / or rose water to collect and have a homogeneous, non-sticky ball of dough.
- Cover the dough and let it rest for 1 hour at room temperature.
- Form balls of about 15 grams.
- Fill each ball of dough, rework the ball so that the filling is well coated in the maamoul dough.
- Using the molded maamoul spoon, shape the balls: put the dough ball in the maamoul imprint, press down well, turn the mold over and give a sharp blow.
- Place the maamoul on a baking sheet covered with baking paper and bake in an oven preheated to 180C for 15 to 20 minutes. The cakes should stay white.
- Right out of the oven, sprinkle with icing sugar.