BBQ chicken Gyro
BBQ chicken Gyro
Preparation: 20 min. Marinating: 2 hours. Cooking: 1 hour 15 minutes.
- 900 g (about 2 lb) boneless chicken thighs
- 1/2 large onion
- 8 Adonis pitas
- 310 ml (1 1/4 cups) tzatziki
- 8 green leaf lettuce
- 2 Italian tomatoes, sliced into half rings
- 2 Lebanese cucumbers cut into thin slices
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 160 ml (2/3 cup) pitted Kalamata olives
- For the marinade:
- 250 ml (1 cup) olive oil
- 60 ml (1/4 cup) fresh lemon juice
- 30 ml (2 tbsp.) Chopped garlic
- 30 ml (2 tbsp.) Paprika
- 2 tsp (10 mL) chopped fresh oregano
- 5 ml (1 teaspoon) crushed coriander seeds
- 5 ml (1 tsp.) Chili flakes
- Salt and pepper to taste
- To watch a video of the preparation click here
- In a large bowl, combine all the marinade ingredients. Reserve a third of the marinade. Add the chicken thighs to the bowl. Stir to coat them well with the marinade. Cover and marinate for 2 to 8 hours in the fridge.
- When ready to cook, preheat the barbecue to medium power (approximately 180C-350F).
- Drain the chicken and discard the marinade.
- Pierce a skewer vertically in the center of the onion half. Prick the upper thighs on the skewer. Place the skewer on a baking sheet.
- On the hot barbecue grill, place the baking sheet. Insert a cooking thermometer in the center of a thigh. Close the lid and cook for 1 hour 15 minutes to 1 hour 30 minutes, or until the internal temperature of the chicken reaches 74C (165F). Brush chicken with remaining marinade halfway through cooking. Transfer the skewer to a plate. Let stand 10 minutes before slicing the chicken.
- Spread the tzatziki on the pitas. Top with the chicken, lettuce, tomato, cucumber, red onion and olives. Roll up the pitas and secure them with toothpicks.